Saturday, March 13, 2010

to sprint or not to sprint (tour de dung 2010/sequim one)

As we were getting lined up for the masters race start, rain crested the mountains behind us looking to chase us down during the race. Although it sprinkled a few drops to keep us cool during the hard efforts--it kept dry. As the day progressed, the wind got a bit stronger, making the crosswinds amazing to navigate.

Unlikely last week, where I beat myself the day before with a TT and a long run, this week I had a day off before this race. No excuses not to be a bit more competitive. The race was very interesting as we had to go neutral for another race field for part of the 3rd and 4th loop, which meant it was going to be mass sprint finish. I had decided not to sprint as we enter the last turn into the final 1k as people were already acting crazy trying to get position. With 200m left to go, I had a whole lane to myself as no one wanted to get into the wind, which was extremely blustery. So I decided to accelerate and made good ground which was surprising. So in the end, I decided to sprint for the fun of it. :)

SCCA/Starbucks team had a huge day racing with a podium dominating day. See the photos and interview in the video below.





No comments:

Post a Comment